Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Prometheus

Director Wes Ball breathes new life into the global, epic franchise set several generations in the future following Caesar’s reign, in which apes are the dominant species living harmoniously and humans have been reduced to living in the shadows. As a new tyrannical ape leader builds his empire, one young ape undertakes a harrowing journey that will cause him to question all that he has known about the past and to make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes Director Unveils How He Got the Idea for the Film's Plot

Wes Ball's upcoming Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes stands as a testament to the power of creative resilience and the art of storytelling. During a press visit to the film's edit bay, Ball shared insights into the genesis of this project and his journey from initial reluctance to embracing the directorial role.

Per ComicBook, Ball's journey began amid the fallout of a canceled project, Mouse Guard, where he honed his skills in motion capture technology, working closely with industry veterans like Matt Reeves and Andy Serkis. Despite his expertise, Ball initially rejected the opportunity to helm the next chapter in the Apes saga, feeling the original trilogy was a complete narrative arc.

"I was doing [Mouse Guard] with Matt [Reeves] and learning all the motion capture stuff. And I had already done a bunch of movies with WETA, so I was really sharpening my chops on this mo-cap thing. And we even cast Andy Serkis as one of the characters in the thing. And so it was during that merger, it was kind of the victim of that merger, and it got canceled ... But it was after that."

"Honestly? I said, 'No thanks. The trilogy was fine? It was a perfect little thing. It is like, 'Why do it? I'm not interested in doing a part four. It's not really fun. It's not very interesting.'" ... "I remember talking to my producing partner, Joe ... 'I have to find something else,' and then a week later... 'I think I know how to do this.' ... It's a big bold choice. We're going to do a giant cut after Caesar has died, but we're not going to abandon what has come before us, essentially. So we're still in that same world. We're still in that universe. And in fact, we get to play with the idea of what has happened with Caesar's legacy, what has survived, the whole buildings are dissolving away."

Click to read more.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...