Hellboy: The Crooked Man

Hellboy: The Crooked Man Finds Its Hellboy in Jack Kesy

The upcoming Hellboy reboot Hellboy: The Crooked Man has found its lead star. Deadline reports that Jack Kesy has just been cast to play Hellboy in the film that's currently in the works at Millennium Media. Kesy has experience in comic book movies, having previously played Black Tom Cassidy in the Marvel sequel Deadpool 2. His other film credits include Baywatch, Death Wish, and The Outpost, and he recently appeared in the movies The Outpost, Dark Web: Cicadia 3301, and Without Remorse. Kesy also previously starred in the FX series The Strain as well as the TNT series Claws.

“Jack Kesy is a dynamic actor who has the ability to morph into his roles," says Millennium Media co-President Jonathan Yunger in a statement. "His talent and stature are perfect for this younger Hellboy. I was very impressed with him while working together on The Outpost."

Directed by Brian Taylor (Crank, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), Hellboy: The Crooked Man will be written by original Hellboy creator Mike Mignola alongside Chris Golden. In the movie, per the report, Hellboy is stranded in the 1950s in rural Appalachia with a rookie BPRD agent when the two "discover a small community haunted by witches, led by a local devil with a troubling connection to Hellboy’s past: the Crooked Man." The film is based heavily on the original comic book version of The Crooked Man that was penned by Mignola.

https://movieweb.com/jack-kesy-hellboy/

Mike Mignola Praises New Hellboy Movie Script

A few weeks have passed since Millennium Films announced that Hellboy, the legendary Dark Horse character created by Mike Mignola, would make his triumphant return to the screen after the abrupt failure of the 2019 version, starring Stranger Things and Marvel Studios star David Harbour.

Days after the announcement, the production company confirmed Jack Kesy (Deadpool 2) as the lead under the direction of Brian Taylor (Ghost Rider). The new story will adapt one of the character's more recent story arcs, The Crooked Man. The story follows a Hellboy who encounters an evil entity in rural Appalachia in the 1950s.

Taylor's idea is to move away from the previous versions to present an R-rated film, a folk horror tale closer to the source material. And it seems that Mignola is more than happy with what they are doing, as he revealed to Variety:

"His intention is to make a horror movie, so that'll be nice. That'll be interesting. I read the new draft of the screenplay yesterday, and yes, it is definitely R. It's the first Hellboy script that I read and I went, 'Oh, it's a horror movie,' which is what I wanted. Taylor does not have a reputation as a horror movie director. But, so far, we've had two horror movie directors make Hellboy movies and we've never gotten a horror movie."

movieweb.com/mike-mignola-praises-new-hellboy/