Universal pass/fail grading system?

Nebulous

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, Nebulous said:

Should all public schools should adopt a universal pass/fail grading system?

What do you think the impacts of this would be?

I think it would teach children to the the absolute minimum to get by.

However, I also think that kids are being forced to learn too much too quickly.  If you compare curriculum between our parents, us, and our children, the difference in expectations is staggering.  Universal pass/fail is a bad idea in my opinion, but accepting that people don't learn the same way, at the same rates, etc and figuring out more resources to help those who are struggling become successful is probably a better choice.

Should all public schools should adopt a universal pass/fail grading system?

No.

What do you think the impacts of this would be?

Panic Omg GIF

In all honesty, it wouldn't benefit anyone. As @as1ntended stated, it would teach children that they only need to exert the bare minimum amount of effort to get by in life and that's not the right message to send. I understand why they want to use it, considering the numbers of students currently struggling to perform basic math, geography and spelling. COVID isolation and keeping students at home caused more problems than it solved. Students should be encouraged to seek the answers for themselves or given helpful locations to obtain help if they couldn't.