The Official Pet Thread

Prometheus

• 7 months later...

Well, this is now a difficult thread for me.  I lost my great dane last May and it still hurts every day that I don't get to see his goofy sweet face.

BUT life goes on... and now we have an Australian shepherd puppy.  Her name is Piper and she's so adorably cute, but can also be an absolute monster at 7 months old. 😅  Here are a couple photos because it's entirely too hard to choose just one...

20230908_122451.thumb.jpg.722afe5a3d281045a44513a806a3e713.jpg  20231214_061446.thumb.jpg.0f49a0b6a71d112d877be3da1ef84dd4.jpg   

We also have a grumpy old woman of a chihuahua named Mocha, but she hates photos. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

I'm so sorry @April, I remember how much of a blast Dozer was. What made you decide on an Australian Shepherd?

Thank you 💙 he definitely was.

And... hubby wanted one.  His reasoning was so that he'd be motivated to get more exercise by having such a high energy pup around... (hasn't happened yet 🙃)

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:46 PM, Prometheus said:

She is super adorable! How many tricks does she know?

Tricks not so many, mostly just basic commands.

Sit

Stand

Down (lay)

Here (basically 'come') (also the silent version using a hand gesture)

Off (furniture or to stop from jumping up on people, she's very bouncy)

Heel

Wait (Stay)

Load up (like get in the car etc)

Kennel

Leave it

Give (like if she were holding something in the mouth)

Woah - she's a setter mix so she SOMETIMES will point for me when I used to take her hunt, woah was the command we'd give to slow her walk up down if I needed to get into a better spot.  Sadie is *not* a hunting dog, she's just not good at containing her excitement to chase birds so I kinda gave up on that.

I try not to use too many words that start with the same letter, because many times she just goes with whatever she *thinks* she heard (Sit, stay, shake, speak examples...) So I used "wait" versus 'stay'

As far as 'tricks'

Paw (shake)

High Five (gotta be ready for this one, she comes flying with her paws)

Speak

Roll (she actually knows which direction to roll based off the hand signal, this was not taught just something she seems to follow anyway) 

She knows VERY WELL stuff like

"go"

"potty"

"feed"

"Puppies" (I reference the smaller dogs this way)

I keep saying 'next year' she'll calm down a little bit and be more obedient (she won't, lol)  She just 'on' or 'off' and no in between.  Great dog, just HIGH energy, then completely passed out.   She can run endlessly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Piper only knows Down and Wait really well right now... because it's what I say when feeding her, lol.  She has a hard time differentiating "Sit" from "Down" also, usually she will sit but then immediately go down on all fours.

Her training class taught "Park it" which is basically telling them to go jump on a raised surface (small cot or couch) or designated bed and sit/lay down.  She knows the command but doesn't always do it without guidance.

Edited by April
  • Like 1
  • rofl 1

I really should have done a better job of training Daisy. She does well with sit, stay and come. Though she has a tendency to try to jump on people, not realizing how heavy or relatively big she is. I need to work on it and work on her socializing skills some more.

Throwback for Shadow, the neighbor's dog that died to cancer very young. He was always over at my first house.  I remember one day I made two FULL SIZE beef wellingtons... First time I'd ever made them so I made a second just incase the first didn't turn out.  Wellingtons aren't something you can reheat and eat, so I ended up giving Shadow half of the 2nd one (about a pound of meat).  He was my biggest fan after that.

image.png.cbfe6d7923ad28c876144a4bdfea54cf.png

• Like 1