28 Days Later Sequel

Cillian Murphy Wants to Return for 28 Days Later Sequel

Cillian Murphy would love to return to the zombie-ravaged world of 28 Days Later in a long-awaited sequel. Speaking with Collider, Murphy revealed that he has been speaking with director Danny Boyle “recently” with the actor declaring the condition he would pose upon the follow-up: it needs to be 28 Years Later, rather than 28 months.

"I was talking to Danny Boyle recently, and I said, “Danny, we shot the movie at the end of 2000.” So I think we’re definitely approaching the 28 Years Later. But like I’ve always said, I’m up for it. I’d love to do it. If Alex [Garland] thinks there’s a script in it and Danny wants to do it, I’d love to do it."

Murphy’s eagerness to return as zombie apocalypse survivor Jim in a possible 28 Years Later is just one of the promising updates that the sought-after sequel has gotten recently. 28 Days Later writer Alex Garland revealed just a few days ago that he has an idea saying, “A few years ago an idea materialized in my head for what would be really 28 Years Later. Danny always liked the idea."

That ‘Danny’ would be director Danny Boyle, who went on to reveal that they are now discussing the sequel “quite seriously, quite diligently. If he doesn’t want to direct it himself I’ll be well up for it if we can execute a similarly good idea.”

https://movieweb.com/cillian-murphy-wants-to-return-for-28-days-later-sequel/

• 6 months later...
  • The long-awaited 28 Days Later sequel has landed at Sony.
  • Danny Boyle and Alex Garland, the director and writer of 28 Days Later, are confirmed to be returning for a new zombie thriller, 28 Years Later.
  • Boyle will direct the first installment while Garland will write all three films, and they will also serve as producers alongside original producer Andrew Macdonald and Peter Rice.

https://movieweb.com/28-years-later-sequel-danny-boyle-cillian-murphy-28-days-later/

• Prometheus changed the title to 28 Days Later Sequel
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2024 at 8:03 AM, Prometheus said:

Changed the title of the thread to 28 Days Later Sequel. Cillian Murphy wants to come back or has stated interest in being involved with the project so it could be good!

I remember that they were originally going to kill him off in the first film. There was a deleted scene of him dying in an abandoned hospital. But the test audience hated the ending, so the director threw together a happy ending of them (the original theatrical ending) and that's what we got. 

• Like 1

Can't blame the fans, it's always enjoyable to see a main character overcome insurmountable odds to be come out alive at the end. I enjoyed the sequel film, but not quite as much as the original. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how this film looks as they release more details and eventually a teaser trailer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

Can't blame the fans, it's always enjoyable to see a main character overcome insurmountable odds to be come out alive at the end. I enjoyed the sequel film, but not quite as much as the original. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how this film looks as they release more details and eventually a teaser trailer.

I was hoping that back in the 2000's, that we would have seen more sequels to these movies. Instead it went down stream after the 2nd one and we never heard anything about it again. 

• Like 1

Probably had a director or producer associated with the project that got on the wrong side of one of the executives of the studio involved or they simply, in their infinite wisdom, dubbed it not profitable enough to move forward with.

To be fair, The Walking Dead kept to the source material for the most part, minus a few tidbits. I will agree though, I'm not sure how they would do a sequel to the original with the same main star considering the direction they took the sequel with the new star. Yes, I know the outbreak started all over again after being purged, but still. How?

On 3/30/2024 at 11:00 AM, Prometheus said:

Yes, I know the outbreak started all over again after being purged, but still. How?

That's the realistic thing about epidemics. Scientists never figure out their origin. Just look at the last Ebola outbreak in 2015. It just appeared with a series of sick people and then blew up from there. Same with Covid, they were all over the place with theories like Wuhan. They don't 100% know. 

Well, I know how it started over with the sequel. They found the main character's wife who had been hiding and was a carrier somehow with her heterochromia iridum, but she didn't become infected. He kissed her and was infected through the saliva.

I just meant, I don't know how they would make a direct sequel to the first film.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:38 AM, Prometheus said:

I just meant, I don't know how they would make a direct sequel to the first film.

No, idea. But if they wanted to just make an infection appear out of no where, they could just look to this for example.