Spawn Reboot

Prometheus

I'll update the title of the thread when more information comes out.

Todd McFarlane Teases More A-Listers Joining Jamie Foxx in Long-Gestating Spawn Reboot

At this point, many Spawn fans are probably doubting that the long-gestating reboot will ever see the light of day, but creator Todd McFarlane has provided another update on the project. For years, McFarlane has been tinkering with the reboot, at one point bringing in Jamie Foxx to lead the cast as the new version of Spawn. The film can't seem to make its way out of development hell, but the success of R-rated comic book adaptations in recent years may help McFarlane finally get that more mature adaptation he wants to finally get made. Last year, it was reported that the film was back on track with a new script in the works from the team of Scott Silver (Joker), Malcolm Spellman (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), and Matt Mixon (Yesterday Was Everything).

McFarlane had planned on directing this movie himself for a while, but he's relaxed on that idea, now keeping a look out for the right director to bring the new Spawn to life. In a new chat with ComicBook.com (via ScreenRant), McFarlane provided an update on the project, clarifying why he's no longer up for directing. First, he teased that Foxx won't be alone with his A-list status as the star of Spawn, as McFarlane says other big names will soon be announced for the cast. As McFarlane says, this will increase studio interest along with the chances of actually getting Spawn greenlit.

"My original plan has gotten tripped up a bit. You deal with a lot, given Hollywood. None of that should be surprising. But, you start bringing on A-list people. And we're bringing on A-list people. Not just one, but multiple A-list people. And, it's going to continue to grow. You're going to sell it to a studio, and then it's going to grow some more. What they're not going to want is to do a cheap, low-budget movie with all of these big name people on it. That's not why they're signing up. They're not looking for a big extravaganza. But, they're also not looking for an eight million dollar horror movie budget."

movieweb.com/todd-mcfarlane-a-list-casting-spawn/

Jason Blum Predicts Long-Gestating Spawn Reboot Will Release in 2025

The Spawn reboot has been in development hell for so long at this point that many fans have practically given up on ever seeing it happen, but the latest update on the project seems fairly promising. Following the failures of the 1997 feature film adaptation of the comic book created by Todd McFarlane, there have been multiple efforts to get an unconnected reboot off the ground. At one point, Jamie Foxx boarded the long-gestating project with plans to star as the titular character, and in 2017, it was reported that McFarlane would direct the reboot for producer Jason Blum's Blumhouse Productions.

In the years since, McFarlane has suggested he's no longer serving as director. He also said that Foxx is still on board and teased that more A-list actors will be added to the project. In a new interview with ComicBook.com, Blum says that the film is far from canceled, despite the lack of progress, assuring fans it's still in "very very active development." While also revealing how the screenplay hasn't yet been finished, Blum feels that the Spawn reboot is on track for a tentative release in 2025. As he told the outlet:

"I would say you have a lot to hope for because it's in very very active development. What needs to happen is that my fellow friends the writers and the studios need to figure out their differences and get back to writing, but we've got a great group of folks putting it together, and my hope is that that movie -- my prediction is maybe we'll actually see a Spawn movie in '25. No promises, but that's my prediction."

Different scripts have been written for the film as it rolled around in development hell. Last year, it was reported that Scott Silver (Joker) and Malcolm Spellman (Captain America: Brave New World) were co-writing the screenplay with Matthew Mixom. A director hasn't yet been named beyond McFarlane confirming that he won't be doing it as he had originally hoped, feeling that the project would fare better with a more recognizable filmmaker at the helm.

https://movieweb.com/jason-blum-active-development-spawn-movie/

• 6 months later...

I don't know how I feel about this. Todd has been talking about this movie for over 20 years after the first one was unsuccessful. He's always saying he's going to have a new one made or released and it's never happened. While I would love to see another one and to not get my hopes up. If a new Spawn movie is released, great. If not, oh well.