Alien: Romulus

Alien Film Helmed by Fede Álverez Wraps Filming

Alien fans can eagerly anticipate the return of their beloved franchise. After a five-year hiatus, Alien has just finished filming their latest movie. The film is spearheaded by acclaimed filmmaker, Fede Álvarez. The news has caused ripples in the entertainment industry as this heralds the revival of a series known for its iconic movie monsters, the xenomorphs.

The upcoming feature has an impressive lineup, including stars Cailee Spaeny, Isabela Merced, and David Jonsson. This vibrant ensemble is set to breathe life into a new set of characters pitted against the infamous xenomorphs, enhancing the horror aesthetics that the franchise is celebrated for as per Collider.

Despite being shrouded in mystery with plot details still undisclosed, what's known is that the movie will operate as a standalone installment. The latest film will be unattached to the narrative established by Ridley Scott through his preceding prequel films. This bold and intriguing move offers an opportunity to reel in a new generation of audiences to a franchise that has captivated viewers for more than four decades.

Past narratives have invariably thrust characters into a claustrophobic scenario of survival in deep space, bereft of resources, battling the deadly claws of the xenomorphs. It will be interesting to see whether the film will serve a fresh narrative or continue its tradition.

Alien: Covenant was the last major cinematic outing from the Alien franchise. The film was directed by Ridley Scott himself. It continues the story of Prometheus. It delves into the creation of these deadly and terrifying xenomorphs by an alien race known as Engineers.

Despite Michael Fassbender's commendable performance as David, the film fell short of box office expectations, grossing approximately $240 million globally. Coupled with the acquisition of Fox by Disney, this led to the franchise being shelved temporarily.

However, the franchise's revival doesn't stop with Álvarez's forthcoming feature. Furthering the excitement for fans, a television series set in the Alien universe is also in the pipeline. Distinguished writer and producer Noah Hawley are associated with this groundbreaking project.

https://movieweb.com/alien-film-helmed-by-fede-lverez-wrap-filming/

• 6 months later...

The only alien film I don't care that much for is the 4th sequel, Alien Resurrection. The rest are really good. 

I really loved Prometheus and Alien Covenant and I didn't quite understand the hate they got. 

• Like 1

Fede Alvarez's New Alien Movie Officially Titled; Still Set For August 2024 Release

• Alien: Romulus will be set between the first two Alien movies.
  • "The same people who built those xenomorphs actually came on and built ours," star Cailee Spaeny reveals.
  • Director Fede Álvarez received high praise from Ridley Scott, who said the film is "f*****g great" and admired the dialogue.

https://movieweb.com/alien-romulus-official-title-release-date/

• Prometheus changed the title to Alien: Romulus
6 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Fede Alvarez's New Alien Movie Officially Titled; Still Set For August 2024 Release

• Alien: Romulus will be set between the first two Alien movies.
  • "The same people who built those xenomorphs actually came on and built ours," star Cailee Spaeny reveals.
  • Director Fede Álvarez received high praise from Ridley Scott, who said the film is "f*****g great" and admired the dialogue.

https://movieweb.com/alien-romulus-official-title-release-date/

I wonder if Michael Fassbender will be in this one. I would really like to see David's arch finished. 

michael fassbender android GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrDawn said:

I wonder if Michael Fassbender will be in this one. I would really like to see David's arch finished. 

michael fassbender android GIF

Don't think it's going to happen bro, they seem adamant on it existing as its own film between the first two films and therefore, will have none of the cast from any of the others in the franchise.

Ironically enough, after watching Promethius again, I'm on an Alien and Predator binge. Watching AVP (the first movie) atm and it aged like fine wine. Kinda curious to know if they'll go more in depth about the creators and how they came to be.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:26 AM, Prometheus said:

I think this new group wanted to avoid upsetting fans by messing around with pre-established lore and characters.

Yeah, it's probably best if they left it shrouded in mystery to avoid upsetting people. Terminator did that a tad bit too much with it's lore and it got quite a bit of haters over it. 

• Like 1

From what I've read when doing a bit of internet sleuthing, it appears a lot of people weren't really big fans of David as a character and would prefer the series shift away from focusing on him so much. Though, an article I saw dated in 2020 did say that Ridley Scott wanted to focus on David and the impact of A. I. on their own creations or something akin to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Alien: Romulus Star Says It's a 'Very, Very, Very Different' Film for the Franchise

• Alien: Romulus star David Jonsson teases a "very different" standalone story set between the first two films.
  • The Alien installment follows a group of young people who must face off against the terrifying Xenomorph.
  • Alien: Romulus promises to bring back the original design team, offering a fresh take on the iconic extraterrestrial creature.

https://movieweb.com/alien-romulus-very-very-very-different-film-david-jonsson/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 9:59 PM, Prometheus said:

From what I've read when doing a bit of internet sleuthing, it appears a lot of people weren't really big fans of David as a character and would prefer the series shift away from focusing on him so much. Though, an article I saw dated in 2020 did say that Ridley Scott wanted to focus on David and the impact of A. I. on their own creations or something akin to that.

I guess that makes sense. The story strongly implying that David created the Xenomorphs didn't sit well with a ton of fans.  That's probably what badly impacted the prequels. I remember the complaints. 

Edited by MrDawn
  • Like 1